I made my muslin today! I was debating about even making one, but I really didn’t know how this shirt would fit, so thought it was wise to take the time.
I used this icky polyester that I bought from the local goodwill. This fabric actually feels like you’re wearing a trashbag and there was no way that I would ever make a real garment out of this, and it has a relatively soft hand, so it seemed pretty good for this purpose. The only adjustments I made in this was to lengthen the front and back by an inch. It’s actually a fairly long top, which pleased me because I hate it when work shirts constantly pull out of my pants forcing me to retuck them all day long.
The only other change I plan to make is to lengthen the sleeves by about a half an inch. Other than that, I’m calling this one good to go. It is far from a fitted top, but I really don’t like my work clothes to be too fitted anyway. The intersection where the collar and the band meet is a critical area and I’m going to have to super precise in this area to get it to look right. I also didn’t like how they had you apply the bands and I need to investigate other methods. I might just put the band pattern piece on the front pattern piece and cut it as one. It seems like I have a Jalie top that is like that. Overall, I am really happy with how this muslin turned out. I hope to cut out the real fabric tomorrow.