I had time to work on the green shirt today!!! I managed to get it cut out and the back sewn together. Not bad for all the more time I had.
The back slit is done! In my opinion, this and sewing the neck binding on are the two hardest parts of this top to get right, for me anyway. I used to just eyeball back slits, but wasn’t really happy with how they turned out (shocking, eh?), so then I started marking the bottom with chalk. Slightly better, but still not perfect. Now, I mark the entire stitching line with a frixion pen. These pens are removed with heat from the iron. I always do a test on a scrap, but I’ve never had a problem yet with them coming completely out. I love these pens and think every sewing room should have one or two or three. I think I have one in black, blue and pink. I would really like one in a silver or white in order to show up on black fabric, but I’ve never seen one in those colors.
If you look closely at the bottom of the rectangle, you can see that I first marked it a little too high. Of course, I didn’t realize this until I was halfway down that first side, so I just extended it a bit and it turned out okay. This pic was taken before I ironed it, of course.
Just for fun, here’s the inside:
I wanted to use french seams, but I wasn’t sure how to neatly make the transition between the seam and the slit. I looked it up on google and found a tip from Susan Khalje’s Bridal Couture (I even own the book!). She says to just make a little cut below the slit. I had thought about that but wasn’t sure if it was okay or not. But…if it’s good enough for Susan Khalje, it’s definitely good enough for me, so that’s what I did!
Hopefully I’ll have more time to work on this tomorrow night. This fabric is pretty slippery and it definitely requires me to be on my game, so I hope I’m not too tired after work.