I finished my husbands second pair of boxers!!!!! I always feel like I should have some way to celebrate when I finish something….Here they are.
It’s hard to see the details on these due to the Spidey print…so if you can’t see what I’m talking about, you’ll just have to take my word for it… I started from the Target boxer pattern, but I modified it to have the fly front from the Kwik Sew pattern. I followed their fly instructions religiously, and it’s ok. Kevin really doesn’t care, but I still haven’t found the Holy Grail of Boxer Instructions yet. I want a clean finish on the inside, and to be able to use a felled seam on the front crotch. This pattern was okay, but they had you serge the front seam. I followed their instructions but used felled seams everywhere else. Kevin never complains about them, so maybe I should just give up the search and move on. 🙂 Ahhh, but we all know how that goes…there are several KS old boxer patterns on Ebay…tempting, tempting! 🙂
Oh, and I did the waistband on these ones as casing. Here’s a comparison of how I did the two waistbands.
The casing definitely looks neater…but it’s more bulky. There’s a tradeoff everywhere, I guess. I know in cotton boxers, the casing is the preferred method, but in flannel, I think the non-casing is preferred. Overall, I’m pleased with both pairs…they’re like the 95% solution to the boxer quest… You know, now that I think about it, I have KS 2489, a women’s bra and boxer pattern in the stash. I should pull out those instructions to see what they say.
I’ve also muslined up a couple of 32D bras to see what I think. First up was my favorite KS pattern, but I have a question about fit. I think I may run into Needle Nooks over the weekend and see if the ladies in there can help me out. I also did a sample of the Bravo Bella 2. It has a 2 piece bottom cup, with a side thing. I picked this pattern up for my sister for some day when she wants support instead of just cuteness. It’s designed for larger cup sizes and a 32D is the smallest in the pattern. It was actually designed by Anne @ Needle Nooks’ daughter who also designs her own patterns and teaches, I think. I think she even has dvds on how to sew them.
I think I might try the BB2 first, but I haven’t made up my mind yet. For the BB2, I actually had to sew the lower cup a couple of different times because I kept putting the one piece in upside down or something. It was quite frustrating, but thankfully I was just using a basting stitch. But, I think all that work and rework may have stretched out the piece a bit. I was debating tonight if it had actually stretched or if I need to trim a bit off the cup. I might trim a bit off and go for it. The sample below didn’t have the underwire in it yet. Once I put it in tonight, I was actually pretty happy with how it fit. The only other adjustment besides the potential one to the cup is to reduce the length of the band by just a bit. I usually have to do that.
Now, for the fun part!!! I need to pick out a fabric and some laces! 🙂 These are the different colored tricots that I have in the stash right now. I’m kind of thinking the green one right in the center…with black lace and elastics.
In other sewing loves, I LOVE this jacket in the November Burda!!!! It’s AWESOME! I love the drama of the collar!