After making the two Butterick 5474s for Christmas gifts, I knew I wanted one!!! After Christmas, my favorite local fabric store for cottons had a sale going on, so I stopped in to find some more coordinating fabric. Since then, I’ve been working on these aprons…it’s obviously been some slow going! It’s not that they’re that hard to do, life just kept getting in the way! But finally, today I was able to finish!
First up is a blue turquoise with cooking words on it. How awesome is that fabric for an apron??!! I actually made up two of this version, one in a size medium and one in a large. These will be for my sister in law, and my really good friend. I only took a picture of one because except for size, they’re identical.
Next, I also did one for my sister. This is the exact same fabric that one of the Christmas gifts was made in. She REALLY liked it and said it was the most Martha Stewart-ish. The one on the left is the one for my sister and the one on the right is the one that I made at Christmas. It looks like I used slightly different purple fabric, but I’m not sure if it was really different or if it’s just a lighting trick.
Last up is one for me!
I think it’s so stinking cute! This is a medium…the only thing I wish I had done differently was use the ties at the waist for the large. These are a little short if I want to wrap it around front to tie it. I will probably just wear it tied in the back. I did leave the bust gathers completely out of all of these. I didn’t change the pattern, I just didn’t sew them in and I spread the difference out over the waistband. I prefer that because it gives you a little more coverage on the side. The only other change I made was to shorten the skirt a little bit. I saw someone’s previous PR review and it suggested that…I’m glad I listened because I think it’s perfect as I made it.
Just since I’d like this post to be a complete review of this pattern, here’s a picture of the pink one that was a Christmas gift.
I’ve put all of Butterick 5474 back in it’s package and it will being put away for a while. I’ve made 6 of these and I will probably make it again someday, but not immediately. I think 6 is enough…for now!
Next up in the sewing room is going to be Kwik Sew 4085 for my sister as a belated Christmas present. Here’s a link to the pattern on PR. http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/68496. Sometime before Christmas, this pattern showed up in her facebook newsfeed and she was sending me texts at 6:30AM one morning telling me how awesome it was. I only remember that because I was getting ready for work and was surprised to see a text come through that early. Anyway, I told her that I’d make it for her if she picked out the fabric. She selected this one from fabric.com. https://www.fabric.com/buy/0392806/silky-stretch-ity-jersey-knit-floral-grey-black.
It’s an ITY knit and is super silky…I think it feels great and will be perfect for this pattern. Before I cut it out, I’m going to do a general comparison with the T that I make for my sister to see how the sizes are lining up. If it seems far off, I may even make her a test version before I cut into the good stuff. Decisions, decisions…but better to take the time than screw it up because I was impatient! I think that’s going to be my motto for this year. 🙂 She’s not so sure about the way the back of the pattern kind of has a flap going on on your butt too, so I may look into modifying that. I think it’s kind of cute…but she wasn’t so sure about it. Once I get my sewing room cleaned up a little bit, I’ll pull out the pattern pieces and take a close look at it. Just for fun, here’s what the sewing room looked like earlier today before the aprons were done. I have a lot of picking up to do down there!