My sewing room has been taken over by animals!!!!!! Horses and elephants to be exact! The horses are for my two year old niece and the elephants are for my nephew.
Before we get into the details, I want to say that I’ve never made anything like this before and I HAD SO MUCH FUN MAKING THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I highly recommend a stuffed animal if you’re looking for something that’s low stress and a break from the norm.
In order of sewing, I started with the horse from Simplicity 1218. Really, it’s a unicorn, but I left off the horn and made a horse.
After I had the wall hanging done, I made the one that my niece can actually play with. (What good is one on a wall for a 2 year old???) I took the head from 1218 and plunked it on the body of 1295. 1295 is okay, but the 1218 head is much more elegant and horselike in my opinion (even with it’s pink fleece mane!) . It was a really in-elegant morph and I just matched the two together to where I thought they looked ok. In the first picture, you can see where I modified the neckline a little. .
Here’s the finished product.
How adorable is that?! Here’s the rear shot just to get the tail in the pic.
I hope my niece gets a kick out of this horse! My brother said she’s all about Maximus from Tangled and he’s a white horse. I asked him if she’d care what color the mane was and he said he didn’t think she’d care, so I made it two colors of pink fleece. 🙂
Next up was the elephants for my nephew. Here’s the wall hanging from 1218.
Sooooooooo cool. Here’s his stuffed one from Mccalls 6484 (Horse is photobombing in the background :)).
I think he’s cutest. I wasn’t sure going into that what he was going to be like because they used a crazy cotton print on the pattern envelope, but he’s much, much cuter in fleece. He is a true cuddle elephant. 🙂
For the wall hangings, I also made the measuring tape things so they can measure the kids.
And…they’re expecting another baby girl due in Dec or so so I made a tape for that her while I was at it. Once she’s older, I’ll figure out what to put at the top of hers.
For the measure-ers, these were based of of Burda 9555 (actually the inspiration for the whole thing).
I extended the length so they’ll measure from 2.5 feet to 6 feet, and I made the markings in inches, not centimeters.
I hope my brother’s family have as much fun with these as I have. With the animals on the wall, if the kids want to change them out to something different, I could just make something different. I’d like to try the giraffe that’s in 1218 someday. 🙂
I’m not sure what’s going to be next to come out of the sewing room. In the previous post, I lamented the fact that I was out of space and binning fabric up. I did that, so now all I have in the closet are fabrics that I actually want to sew. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It feels sooooooooo good. I was able to arrange stuff under my sewing table so the bins of fabric are under there in an unobtrusive manner. I still plan to go through it to see what I could donate to the local high school. That’s a project for another day though. Here’s my finished closet! These colors make me want to do a happy dance when I go in there!!! I also hung stuff up so it wasn’t interfering with the patterns below. It makes it feel so much nicer.
I’m not sure what will be up next….I’m just waiting for inspiration to strike!