In the last post, I was testing muslins. I decided to test one more, Burda 8184, and it’s the one that I decided to go with. Here’s the pattern.
I liked that this was styled like a traditional blazer, just without a lining. Since my fabric had stretch in it, I didn’t want to mess around with finding a comparable stretch lining. An unlined jacket just seemed to be the easiest.
The pattern went together beautifully. I had some errors on the collar that resulted in it being not quite symmetrical…but I’m never still and figure people don’t generally pay that much attention anyway. 🙂 Hopefully!
It turned out bigger than I had expected. I did make two muslins, one in 10-12, the other in 12-14. I went with the 12-14 because that felt like it fit…but I didn’t take into account enough the stretch of my fabric. With the stretch, I think I should have made the 10-12. Live and learn though. I considered taking it apart to redo it…but I would sooner just take the lesson and move on. I will wear it and I think it still looks nice.
On the dressform:
I LOVE the little back pleat. It’s cute without being cutesy. The button on the front is just a hair bigger than I would prefer, but it’s okay. It was bigger than the button hole foot on my machine. I was irritated for a bit…but then I figured I should just try the biggest buttonhole possible from my machine to see if it’d work. It did!!!! I was pretty happy…I know a lot of people manage to make buttonholes without the auto foot thing…but it’s soooo much easier with.
Here’s the jacket as I wore it to work one day this week:
I do have the sleeves rolled up in that pic. Generally that’s how I wear them. I did consider just making them 3/4 length sleeves to start with, but I like having the option to roll them down if I’m really cold.
So…lessons learned from this one: Size down if using a stretch woven and precisely mark all of the collar markings.
Next up, I’m working on some Hot Patterns Tummy Taming Trousers.
I liked the simplicity of this style. Mine are almost done, but I need to fiddle around with the crotch curve a little more today. I plan to get them done this afternoon. Then after that, I’m going to try a pair of the Sewaholic workout pants. I forget the name, but I’m excited to try them. If all goes quickly today, I may have those done too. 🙂