On a facebook page I’m on, a group of us were talking about our goals for the year. I was feeling rather goalless, as in there’s nothing big I want to accomplish in life. My job is good, home is good, everything is good. But…one lady came on said her goal was just to get stuff done…ahhhh, now that I could relate to. So, I’ve chosen that for 2017, my goal is to “just do it.” And It can be whatever I want it to me. I’ve applied that to my sewing and have been sewing the things I want to make…not necessarily need right now. Frankly, there’s nothing I NEED right now…all is pretty good. Sewing what you want to make is much more fun than sewing something that you need! On top of that decision, I’ve had a bit of an epiphany lately about some fitting adjustments and I think I’ve got them pretty well down…at least for Hot patterns brand. I have a sneaking suspicion that I need to make similar adjustments in other brands, but I haven’t put that to the test yet.
Without further ado…here’s the Artemis.
This dress is soooooo gorgeous! I have no idea where I’m going to wear it, but something will come up, I’m sure. I need a nice wedding!
It’s made from a textured knit from Joanns. It’s a fairly recent purchase, and I want to run over later today and see if they still have some in stock. It’s nice fabric. Putting this dress together was easy…In fact, this could easily belong in the Hot patterns Fast and Fabulous line in my opinion. I made a quick muslin with my adjustments, then plowed forward with the dress. The armbands are a little difficult to wrap your head around by reading the instructions. But frankly, I don’t know how to write them better. My advice would be to read the instructions, baste it together, then adjust if you need to. You’ll know when it’s right.
For documentation purposes, here are the adjustments I made:
1/2 ” forward head
3/8″ hunchback (I can never remember what that’s really called) with a dart added to the back neckline
1/4″ tuck in front neckline
2″ added waist length (will probably do 1.5″ next time)
8″ added length for the skirt. The pattern comes with a band, and I knew I didn’t want that, so I just lengthened the skirt so that it would be long enough with a healthy hem. I ended up with about a 3″ hem.
Also, I had to let the seams out below the waist as far as I could. My knit didn’t have as much stretch as the one for the muslin did and I didn’t account for that!
I think that was it…I am ECSTATIC to have my adjustments mostly worked out. I have bought a lot of Hot patterns over the years and I’m excited to be able to use them and know what to do.
In fact..in the manner of just do it…next up is going to be the Cote d’Azur top. I’m hoping it works and I can churn out a couple of work tops from it. I adjusted the pattern last night and will do a quick muslin later today.